Disability Confidence & Awareness Training
According to Statistics Canada, 22% of Canadians self-identify as having a disability. People who have a disability are not only willing to work, they are prepared to meet the demands of the workplace with up to 50% holding post-secondary diplomas and degrees. This is a growing demographic with global impact. Globally, people with disabilities control over $8 trillion US in annual disposable income.
ODEN’s Disability Confidence & Awareness Training is designed for everyone wanting to gain knowledge in order to be responsive to the broader abilities, competencies and needs of people who have a disability.
This one-day training module will prepare your business to confidently hire and onboard people who have a disability. It explains the benefits of inclusive hiring practices and dispels the misconceptions and myths that frequently surround people who have a disability.
- The importance of language — an introduction to people-first terminology
- Dispelling myths that create biases and barriers
- Understanding disability:
- What it is
- What disability looks like in Canada — the facts
- Types of disabilities — an introduction to disabilities, and a general overview of attributes
- Basic guidelines for supporting new employees who have a disability
- Case studies of businesses that have benefited from inclusive hiring
- Understanding the role of a Job Coach
- Accommodations and universal design
- Asking questions in a safe, supportive setting
This introductory training is appropriate for hiring managers and supervisors, team leads, HR personnel and business owners and operators who have had minimal experience working with employees who have a disability.
Length of training: One business day
Cost: $200 per person
This is an online, interactive session facilitated by an ODEN Diversity and Inclusion Specialist. There is a maximum of 10 people per session, to encourage active participation. Participants will contribute to group exercises and discussions throughout this live session. Come prepared to learn how to create and engage a diverse workforce in your business.